Even if you travel full time, you are resident somewhere. But you can select a state. Most FT are split between Texas and South Dakota. Excellent analysis, explained by lawyer, and tables comparing tax rates.

Consider: driver licenses, insurance, banking, voting, etc in one location, we're demonstrating that is our selected domicile.

  • SD, TX: No income tax, low insurance, registrations, licensing.
  • TX has 6% tax on new MH, SD only 3%, and SD has cheaper health insurance.
  • But jury duty is better in TX, especially in winter :-)

States with no income tax:

  • Alaska
  • Florida
  • Nevada
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

New Hampshire and Tennessee do not tax wages or self-employment income.

If planning to work in a non-residence state (which does have income tax) for three months or more during a tax year, know that state's potential for claiming you as a resident or part-year resident for tax purposes

some states (like Texas) *do* require an upgraded driver's license for vehicles, or combination of vehicles, whose GVWR is 26,001# or over: Class A, non-CDL, driver's license in Texas.

South Dakota, requires no special driver's license for driving a private vehicle, no matter what the weight is.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License